Farmer's Market at Spectra

Today I went to the Farmer's Market at Spectra (Woodlands). They sold a variety of produce such as local Chye Sim, Sweet potatoes, Corn and Japanese Kai Lan. 

They were very welcoming (I was offered a mildly sweet Rosella drink from their garden) and one of the students was my guide. She showed me around the plots of vegetables and plants, explaining to me its uses and characteristics. 

I was fascinated by the Snake Gourd, which was super long and the Melons which were huge too. They also have a self irrigation system and a rainwater collecting system. They use leftover leaves and stem for compost and fertilizer. Maybe we would try that for our garden! They have a variety of climbing plants such as Bitter Gourd, Passion Fruit and Melon. They also have Cherry Tomatoes, Pandan, Sugarcane, Kale, Long Beans, Tapioca and many other edible plants.  
Cucumber 
 Long Beans
 Melon
Passion Fruit
Bitter Gourd 
 Tomatoes
Snake Gourd
 Corn
Sweet Potato- surprisingly it was white inside!

My vegetable haul- Kai Lan, Chye Sim, Sweet Potato leaves, Kale, Corn, Tapoica, Sweet Potato

It was truly heartening to see the students and teachers participate so actively and vicariously in gardening. They even have a roster to take care of the plants daily! The cost of what I bought ($30) went to the FAS (needy) students of Spectra. So not only did I get to see their beautiful hard work, it was also for a good cause!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seeds Suppliers in Singapore

Singapore Garden Festival